[Volunteers] [pc] UKNOF: Joint Meeting Committee and Programme Committee Call

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon May 9 14:30:41 BST 2016

Hi,

Neil’s points are good.

A few comments….

I’d draw attention to the new attendee stats in Q4: UKNOF34 was my first one: 22.97%, and suggest that we do something to figure out how to make that quarter of attendees more ‘sticky’ for future events. I suspect that on Q6 about future attendance intentions, the 10% of “don’t knows” is from the new attendees, and VERY good to see 0 “no” answers? Can we correlate that from the data?  We’d like to get it to 100% for new attendees :)  Can we perhaps target new attendees with a more tailored survey about what would make them keep coming back?  Tracking ‘sickness’ event to event could be useful, if we wish to grow further.

As part of the above how might we reach out to more younger attendees (4/74 in the 18-24 bracket) and female attendees (4/74 responded to the survey)?  It would be good to see diversity in the audience improve, as far as possible.  I’m sure we have more 55+ attendees than the 2/74 responses suggest, or the old farts don’t bother to do the survey!

It seems the one day format is preferred (Q9), as is the current sponsor talk ‘sacrifice’ for free entry.

I think UKNOF34 was top heavy on community networks, so comments against that can be taken in that light. I suspect it’s good *stories* that people like, hence the Cambridge WiFi being the most popular talk.

LOTS of positive aspects of UKNOF captured in Q15, mainly around the networking opportunity.

On the negative points, which were fewer in number, the ones about things that might put off newcomers (excessive acronyms in slides, fear of coming to the mic to ask a question, etc) are probably the ones to think most about.

The suggestion to have the lectern screen showing next slides sounds good, if we can do that.

Oh, and it wasn’t me who complained about the 0% ale options for the drinks session, but I would agree. Can’t be too choosy with free stuff though ;)

Tim